As a member of the Product Engineering Team, the Principal, Data Engineer, AdSmart will be directly responsible for design, development, and maintenance of various component/applications that are part of building out the necessary platform and products for NBCUniversal’s AdSmart. NBCUniversal’s audience management products will enable NBCUniversal to better understand its brand’s audiences such as NBC News, Bravo, The Tonight Show, Saturday Night Live, USA Network, and the new Peacock streaming service as well as audiences that cross brands.
The goal is to ensure we know who is watching what, where and when. In turn, enabling NBC Universal’s sales teams to properly align our audiences with the market advertisements that can benefit them the most. You will be part of the AdSmart Data Engineering team, participating in the data architecture that will drive both current and future initiatives within NBC Universal’s AdSmart group.
- Serve as a senior data engineer for AdSmart products
- Participate in, and execute, a 12-month product roadmap with input from the delivery team,
stakeholders, and leadership
- Participate in scrum ceremonies
- Design and code tools and services that are core to AdSmart, including One Platform and Peacock, under the leadership of the Sr Director of Engineering
- Perform peer code reviews
- Utilize cutting-edge cloud computing technologies to solve problems
- Support product with the overall roadmap and ensure updates to senior leadership are 100% technically correct.
- Analyze and report results and adjust the overall engineering strategy accordingly with engineering leadership
- Migrating Projects from GitHub to GitLab
- Migrating Spark jobs from DC/OS to AWS / EMR / Airflow
- Create and run custom notebooks (Scala/Spark) to validate schema, join dataset, produce various counts, etc.
- Creating Monitoring for various applications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of software development experience, as a developer or manager
- Fluency in Scala and/or Java programming languages
- Strong OO & FP design patterns, data structure, and algorithm design skills
- Extensive experience developing Apache Spark applications
- 2+ years of experience with both relational database design (SQL), non-relational (NoSQL) databases, big data, real-time technologies
- Experience developing and/or consuming web interfaces (REST API) and associated skills (HTTP, web services)
- Self-directed, ability to multi-task, sharp analytical abilities, excellent communication skills, capable of working effectively in a dynamic environment
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills
- Results-oriented, high energy, self-motivated
- Experience with software containerization, such as Docker
- Experience as a development manager (with direct authority over development staff)
- Experience with Cluster Management and Container Orchestration technologies such as Mesos,
- Experience with Apache Kafka or similar streaming technologies
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with AWS Lambda or similar serverless backend technologies
- Experience with digital advertising technologies.
- Experience with database queries (SQL) and Spark SQL
Projects / Products
- Audience Graph
- Audience Optimizer
- Viewership Data Ingestion / Processing
- Migration of existing architecture to Cloud Native
- Reporting Data Applications
- Forecasting Algorithm Implementation